MEETINGS – CALENDAR
In addition to a calendar of activities, the Coalition members work for a strategy to understand and imagine the best trauma informed practices in serving the residents of the neighborhood.
Calendar of Meetings:
Regular meeting are the second Thursday of every month 10am (with the exception of July and September, 2018):
Upcoming Events & Activities:
Youth Summit – April/May (TBD)
Taste of Back of the Yards PEC, Fundraiser May 19, 2018 11 am.
Thanksgiving Neighborhood Forum – Fall 2018 (TBD)
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE COALITION
An Advisory Committee to the PEC is in the finally months of working out a membership agreement that includes how members support and are supported by the Coalition.
We believe that the development of a common mission depends on membership commitment to the following values:
- To learn and understand the (hi)story of families, organizations, and the neighborhood.
- To learn and appreciate and promote the culture of the Back of the Yards.
- To promote health and wellbeing.
- To dedicate time to develop transparent relationships with other member agencies and organizations.
- To dedicate time to the development of common trauma-based standards of services and training in such.
- To “hire locally” to the extent possible.
- To contribute to “telling the story” of the Back of the Yards to those outside.
- To believe in this community and not lose hope.
- To stand alongside and accompany community residents at they realize their sense of agency )power) to enact change.
CURRENT PRIORITIES of PEC
- Facilitate dialogue and creative responses among networking agencies at monthly meetings, and map the assets of the community.
- Develop a common language and best practices for youth and young adult focused programs.
- Establish and create a culture of “giving back” or volunteer services among young people with dreams for a higher education.
- Strive to accompany the needs of families, especially embracing those formerly incarcerated, as well as undocumented.
- Network with schools, supporting especially the Peace and Education Accelerated High School and annual Youth Summit.